Although over time, the grout on your floors might get stained or in need of repair, you can whiten tile grout. Your floors looking dirty even though your tiles are sparkling and clean. Grout is a porous substance that needs regular maintenance to keep its appearance because its notorious for getting stained easily. Once a stain has set, it is much more difficult to clean your grout. Cleaning stuff like your grout and tiles doesn’t have to be an expensive or strenuous task. With a little bit of effort and electric grout cleaning machines, you can have clean grout in no time.
Table of Contents
Vinegar is an eco-friendly way to clean or restore white grout, but you should avoid using it on natural stones like marble or limestone. Since vinegar is acidic, it will cause etching and can compromise the integrity of the stone. If you’re not concerned about that, here’s how to do it.
1. Use vinegar in a spray bottle to saturate the grout you’d like to clean.
2. Leave the solution on the grout for about ten minutes. Patience is key when you are using vinegar to clean grout. The solution should be left on the grout for about 10 minutes.
3. Try using an old toothbrush or a nylon bristle brush to push the vinegar into the cracks. Using a brush is also a great way to lift the stains.
4. The vinegar should be wiped or washed away using a clean rag with water, or a steam mop.
2.Using oxygen bleach to whiten grout
If you use bleach to whiten tile and grout lines, make sure it is oxygen bleach and not chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach is safe for most surfaces, but it is a good idea to spot test your solution first before using it on your entire floor. Here’s what you need:
- 4 tablespoons of bleach powder
- a 2 gallon (7.5 Lt) bucket of hot water
a) Mix the oxygen bleach powder and the water in the bucket.
b) Apply the oxygen bleach to your floors with an old towel or sponge.
c) Leave for 30 minutes to allow for proper saturation.
3. Use hydrogen peroxide solution
A non-toxic chemical alternative to bleach is hydrogen peroxide which has a different chemical composition to bleach and also eliminates germs. Here’s what you need:
- 1/2cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tsp of dishwashing detergent (dish soap)
Now, Mix the ingredients together, Apply to mixture to the grout. Wait 10-15 minutes then scrub with an old toothbrush. (for even better results, wait 20-25 minutes). Rinse with water. Then apply steam mop.
4. Use a store-bought cleaning solution
There are numerous commercial grout cleaners available. If you are in need of a neutral ph floor cleaner, a quick google search will lead you to many products that you can buy from Amazon or other local stores like Home Depot and even Staples.
5. Use a steam mop
Regular cleaning is the easiest way to prevent your floors getting too dirty. Sweeping and mopping, especially with a grout steamer will help keep your grout healthy and bright. You’ll need a good quality tile and grout cleaner machine for your apartment or your home. To whiten tiles and grout lines which are old and dirty will require time and effort, but with the right tools you can achieve good results. To know more read: how to clean grout with steam mop.
Those are the five ways to whiten tile grout, clean your wall and floor tiles. Try them all and see which one works best for you.